Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
First chamber cast
02-29-2020, 07:12 PM,
#18
RE: First chamber cast
Kurt,

What are you running your grinding wheels in. We always used a surface grinder and an index head (coffee grinder as we called it). Wheels vary a lot from make to make. The last several years I used U.S. Diamond Wheel. Before that we got them from a local manufacturer by the name of United Abrasives, but they went out of business. They made good wheels.

For our 1/2 x 8 x 1 1/4" we used 46H for roughing and square grinding. Then 60K, 80K and 100K for form grinding.

The cutter I made up recently is a 4-flute and I did all the work in the mill, finishing the flutes completely to size while soft and then just hand stoned the cutting edges after heat treating. I used A-2 tool steel because it is what I had that was 1/2 diameter. The first test it didn't cut as well as I hoped, but with a little careful stoning it did a pretty good job the second try. That one is a .44 caliber. Next I'll make a .45 caliber and learning as I go it should turn out better.

The profile could be turned in a lathe and the flutes cut in a mill. Probably still need a little hand work for the reliefs.


I'll see if I can remember to take a picture of it next week and post it here.


I've made all sorts of cutters, reamers and even taps over the years, but this is a little different. I never had much luck with "D" type cutters, but they do work.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Reply


Messages In This Thread
First chamber cast - by Randy Bohannon - 02-27-2020, 07:20 AM
RE: First chamber cast - by Distant Thunder - 02-27-2020, 10:22 AM
RE: First chamber cast - by Randy Bohannon - 02-27-2020, 10:58 AM
RE: First chamber cast - by Don McDowell - 02-27-2020, 11:09 AM
RE: First chamber cast - by Randy Bohannon - 02-27-2020, 11:51 AM
RE: First chamber cast - by Don McDowell - 02-27-2020, 12:15 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by Distant Thunder - 02-27-2020, 12:46 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by Randy Bohannon - 02-27-2020, 01:07 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by Distant Thunder - 02-27-2020, 01:36 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by beltfed - 02-28-2020, 08:57 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by beltfed - 02-28-2020, 09:24 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by beltfed - 02-28-2020, 09:36 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by Kurt - 02-28-2020, 10:27 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by Distant Thunder - 02-28-2020, 10:32 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by beltfed - 02-29-2020, 10:18 AM
RE: First chamber cast - by Distant Thunder - 02-29-2020, 11:46 AM
RE: First chamber cast - by Kurt - 02-29-2020, 12:05 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by Distant Thunder - 02-29-2020, 07:12 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by Kurt - 02-29-2020, 09:02 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by Kurt - 02-29-2020, 09:18 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by Distant Thunder - 03-01-2020, 10:21 AM
RE: First chamber cast - by Kurt - 03-01-2020, 11:21 AM
RE: First chamber cast - by Distant Thunder - 03-01-2020, 12:31 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by Kurt - 03-01-2020, 02:49 PM
RE: First chamber cast - by kenny s - 06-23-2020, 11:54 AM
RE: First chamber cast - by kenny s - 06-23-2020, 12:03 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Contact Us | HistoricShooting.com | Return to Top | | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication